Sunday, September 21, 2014

Under the Dome: Theory Three or Something Weird is Going On

I'm now in the 600's (pages) in Under the Dome and let's just say things are getting pretty weird. I know I talked about Theory One: Big Jim is behind the dome, and Theory Two: Pink Stars; but now I feel there is someone else behind the dome. It almost sounds like Theory Two and this are connected.

I got the idea something else was going on shortly after making the Theory Two post. There are new characters we are introduced to, Aidan, a young boy, being one of them. Like the majority of the young kids we know of, Aidan experiences a seizure about, you guessed it, pink stars falling. Except, it wasn't just about pink stars falling. "'The pink stars are falling,' Aidan said. 'They make lines behind them. It's pretty. It's scary. Everyone is watching. No treats, only tricks. Hard to breathe. He calls himself the Chef. It's his fault. He's the one.'" (page 391) I was shocked to read "he calls himself the Chef" and "It's his fault." because we were recently introduced to a character named Phil who calls himself the Chef. And it was even more peculiar how it still related to pink stars falling. What's going on?

Let's look at Phil for a bit. Phil/Chef in the book runs the radio station in Chester's Mill, playing christian music. Although he's a meth addict, he seems nice enough(in a way because this guy is crazy, but I tend to find a good side in all characters) and is devoted to Christ. Except, he gets a little creepy with it. Note how in the seizures the kids mention something about Halloween, which is just around the corner now. "'Got your Halloween costume, kid?' Chef inquired. 'Yes...'(the kid was speaking) 'Who you gonna be?' 'Glinda,' the girl said faintly. 'although I guess I wont't be going to the party, after all. It's in Motton.' 'I'm coming as Jesus,' Chef said. He followed Ginny, a dirty ghost in decaying Converse Hi-Tops. Then he turned back. He was smiling. His eyes were empty. 'And I'm pissed.'" (page 673) Creepy, right? Chef is something else. After reading that, I looked back a few paragraphs at something that caught my attention before but I didn't really understand. But now I think I know what Chef was talking about. "'Christ is coming back on Halloween,' Chef said. 'Probably a few days earlier; I can't tell. It's already Halloween season, you know. Season of the (insert non-school appropriate word here) witch.' He handed Andy the pipe, then pointed with the hand holding the garage door opener. 'Do you see that? Up at the end of the gallery. Over the door to the storage side.' Andy looked up. 'What? That white lump? Looks like clay?' 'That's not clay,' Chef said. 'That's the body of Christ, Sanders.' 'What about those wires coming out of it?' 'Vessels with the Blood of Christ running through em.'" (page 672)I think that white lump with the wires is something that controls the dome. I could be wrong, especially since Joe McClatchy and his friends found something else that could be responsible for the dome, But it sounded peculiar with the wires running to It. Also, after Chef said he was going to be Jesus for Halloween, Chef said another interesting thing that could be dome related. "'All right,' Chef said. 'drive, but pass me that first.' he had given Andy the garage door opener for safekeeping. Andy handed it over. 'To the funeral parlor?' Chef looked at him as if he were mad. 'back to the radio station. That's where Christ will come first when he comes back.' 'On Halloween.'" (Page 673) This just sounds like foreshadowing, doesn't it? I strongly believe Chef has something to do with the dome. I don't exactly know how the seizures are part of it, but either this is Theory Three or something weird is going on.

Comment what or who you think is responsible for the dome!

No comments:

Post a Comment