Monday, March 23, 2015

Columnist Project

I read 14 different articles written by a variety of columnists. I found some I liked, some I didn't like, and some that made me laugh out loud. While reading, I learned a lot about the perspective of each column and how the author makes his or her argument..

The column I liked the best was a column by Dave Barry called "The Mother of All Parties". It was a humorous piece about mothers going all out for their kid's birthday party. It said, "
Like many moms, my wife believes that a child's birthday party requires as much planning as a lunar landing -- more, actually, because you have to hire a clown." It uses funny lines like this to get the argument across. What I thought was funny was when it went into comparing a mom planned party against a dad planned party. It said, " It would be different if dads planned birthday parties. First off, the party would be about a month after the child's actual birthday, which is when Dad would remember it. Dad's party theme would be ``delivery pizza,'' which would also serve as the cake, the craft project and the party favor. The entertainment would be pulling Dad's finger. The kids would have just as much fun." I thought this was funny, knowing my dad, and how his idea of a birthday party is the most dirt cheap party ever.

I thought the article was funny and well written because you could relate to the situation. A lot of stuff was over exaggerated, adding to the humor. Overall a very good column.

No comments:

Post a Comment