Sunday, November 23, 2014

The Universe Versus Alex Woods

I'm reading the book The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence. The first thing I noticed right off the bat is that I love the beginning. It opens up with Alex getting pulled over by a cop for whatever reason-read a little more and you find out that he had a bunch of drugs with him and the ashes of Mr. Peterson. I like how it starts off with action and things are revealed along the way rather than building into the action of the plot slowly. When the cops ask him for the story, he mentions to the reader, "Cheif Inspector Hearse told me that he wanted a 'clear, concise and full explanation' of all the relevant circumstances that led to my being stopped at costums with one hundred and thirteen grams of marijuana and Mr. Peterson's remains; but that was a lost cause from the word go. Sometimes when people ask you for a full explanation, you know...well that's the last thing they want. Really, they want you to give them a paragraph that confirms what they already think they know." (pg. 15) I really like this part and how the author wrote it. What I like even more was that it goes to explain his past; the long story that the cops don't want to hear.


I really really like how it starts off with action, explains a little bit and uses some foreshadowing then goes into the past to explain what really happened. You get the exposition through the past, which is explained right after the cop scene. I think it's a different, creative way for an author to start a book.

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds like a lot of fun! It sounds like a whirlwind adventure! I may have read it to find out why he has some person's ashes

    ReplyDelete